- I hate Radiohead. Various people–some with respectable taste– keep telling me how great these guys are. I don’t get it.
- There are probably worse places in the world, but the emergency room of Mission Hospital at 2a.m. on a Sunday morning comes close. Drunks, sociopaths, and general weirdness mixed with the order of booze and vomit and in a nearly in consolable 13 month old and you’ve got your basic recipe for hell on earth.
- Speaking of Jesus; in the lobby of Sisters of Mercy Urgent Care in Asheville, there is a poster of Jesus scrubbing in to a surgery. Apparently this poster is meant as some sort of inspirational/calming image to those who are there. But, seriously, I know he is like all knowing and God and everything, but the dude hasn’t been on earth for nearly 2,000 years. Medicine has made great advances in that time, not to mention the hygiene. Do you really want someone whose idea of cleanliness is wipe with left hand, eat with right hand having a go with a vital organ?
- WTF is with the reading of the Declaration of Independence by various NFL people before the (interminable) start of the Super Bowl? I am all for the Declaration of Independence, but mixing it with the hyper-commercialism (and the latent Militarism) of the Super Bowl is just soooo fucking tacky.
- Which is why the Stanley Cup (and Hockey in general) is a superior watch to the NFL. There is none of this inflated pomp. You have the Star-Spangled Banner Oh, Canada, then they drop the puck and go at it for a best of seven series in which the winner gets their names inscribed on a trophy of which there is only one (well there are actually two, but one is the real one and the other is one that travels to various places so the real one can be kept safe…but I digress) and it’s over 100 years old.
- Nice Marmot has, after coming to the realization (which in truth we knew from the beginning) that Mike Gravel is not going to be the next president of the US, decided to endorse Barack Obama for President. We encourage to follow our suit and contribute to the campaign in whatever manner you can.
- I can’t get a good Rueben sandwich in this town. something has to be done about that.
*ten is just a title